Our app

Download our app

Click on the App Store or Google Play logos below to download the College app.

app store

google play

Check out our latest events!

Job Shop

Student Finance

T Levels

Apply online

What are T Levels?

T Levels are a qualification you can take after your GCSEs or Technical Awards, offering an alternative to A Levels. Each qualification lasts two years and is equivalent to three A-Levels.  Like Apprenticeships, T Levels provide a chance for you to learn on the job. The main difference is that classroom learning accounts for 80% of your time with a T Level while your industry placement makes up the other 20%. Each placement is at least 315 hours long (that’s roughly 45 days!) What makes T Levels unique is that they have been specially designed with employers and businesses so as soon as you qualify you can step straight into your chosen career, higher apprenticeship or degree confident that you are equipped with all the industry knowledge you need to succeed.

Need more information?

  • UCAS Points you'll gain from T Levels
    UCAS Tariff points - T Level overall grade
    168 Distinction*
    144 Distinction
    120 Merit
    96 Pass (C or above on the core)
    72 Pass (D or E on the core)
  • Your questions about T Levels answered

    Is it possible to study a T Level without sitting an exam?

    No. There are two exams that are the assessment for the Core.

    I am not good with exam situations what course can I do that is assessment only?

    The DfE are removing more and more of the qualifications that are only assessment. The only course we currently offer that doesn't have exams is our new Level 3 Managing and Developing Esports course.

    How are T levels assessed?

    There are 4 parts to T Levels. Year 1 (Core - 2 exams, Employer project - timed assessment over a few days (like they do for art GCSE)), year 2 (Specialism - timed assessment over a few days) and industry placement of at least 1 day a week for the 2 years. All work is externally assessed (exams and assessments)

    What’s the difference between a T Level and the other options available to me?

    T Levels are very employer orientated and are designed with industry leaders. They are very specific and provide learners with the skills and knowledge required for the sector of their choosing.

    Why should I choose a T Level?

    For students that know what they want to do and want lots of industry and practical experience.

    Why should I choose to study a T Level?

    T levels are designed with industry leaders to provide the skills and knowledge that are needed in industry. They are very in-depth into their field.

    What is the difference between a T Level and an Apprenticeship?

    An Apprenticeship is based with the employer and you attend college for one day of teaching. (more on the job learning, less theory) a T Level is three days in college and at least 1 day industry placement (more theory and in-depth content)

    Will I get paid for the work experience?

    No, but the experience you’ll fain will put you in a favourable position when seeking employment and in university applications.

    Do I have to find my own placement?

    Preferably, but we do have industry contacts and are here to help.

    Can I find my own work placement?

    Absolutely! This means that you find a placement that you want and within a suitable travel distance for yourself. Just please talk to us so that we can ensure it is suitable for your T Level.

    Can I still go to university?

    T Levels offer UCAS points just like A Levels and BTEC. T-Levels are widely recognised by most universities and higher education institutions. If you have any questions please contact one of your Career Advisors.

Our T Level Courses

We offer a variety of subjects to study for a T-level qualification, to apply for some of these courses you will need to apply within the Department area. To complete the application process you will need to register, or login if you already have a user account. Once you apply for your chosen area, you will have the opportunity to discuss the T Level course you are interested in at the interview stage.

Apply online

Student Guide

If you're an employer

Industry placements give young people studying towards a technical qualification practical experience directly related to their course, helping prepare them for the world of work. All of our students at West Suffolk College aged 16-18 must complete a form of placement with an external employer; this can be a regular work placement or a 315-hour industry placement. If you’re interested in finding out more about how you can help then click the link below. 

Get in touch with a course advisor: 

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.