Date: Saturday 6th October 2018
Time: 11am to 1pm
Car Parks: Arc/Cattlemarket and Parkway multi storey (close to The Apex for gowning), Ram Meadow (close to cathedral)
Graduation Registration is online. This will take you through a few steps during which you will check your name, confirm your address, indicate whether you wish to attend your ceremony and if so request the number of guest tickets you require. The online registration form will be available until noon on Thursday 20 September 2018. Please complete your registration as soon as possible after receipt of your invitation letter, and by Thursday 20 September 2018 at the latest.
Whether you choose to attend your ceremony or not, it is important that you complete your online Graduation Registration so that we have a correct record of your name and the address where you can be contacted until November 2018. If you are not attending and we do not have your correct address details, you may not receive your certificate.
Timing of the Day
Registration and gowning will commence at 9.00am at The Apex and you are advised to arrive as early as possible to allow plenty of time for gowning and photographs etc. You must ensure that you are gowned by 11.00am at the latest.
On arrival at the Apex, graduands must register at the graduation registration desk located at the entrance of the building. From the Apex you will need to make your way to the Cathedral. You and your guests should be seated in the Cathedral by 11.30am at the very latest. Graduands will be seated in designated pews. The ceremony takes approximately one hour to an hour and a half.
Following the ceremony in the Cathedral, a celebratory reception will take place in the Garth area within the Cathedral grounds. All gowns should then be returned to The Apex.
You will require a ticket for all guests you wish to bring to your ceremony. You do not need to order a ticket for yourself as the graduand. Guests tickets cost £15 each, and you may bring a maximum of three guests over the age of 5. There will be no additional tickets available. Tickets for guests under the age of 5 are free but must still be ordered. Tickets will be checked at the Cathedral so guests must keep hold of their ticket.
All guest tickets must be paid for by Monday 25 September 2018. Details of how to purchase your tickets will be provided in the confirmation email sent on completion of the online graduation registration form. Your tickets will be available for collection from the registration desk at the Apex on the day of your ceremony.
Arrangements can be made for students or guests with special requirements. Students are asked to notify us in advance of any special arrangements they or their guests require.
Graduands must wear academic gowns for the ceremony. We are using the graduation services of Ede and Ravenscroft who provide a cost effective, high quality service that covers all the needs and requirements of graduation.
Arrangements are in place for you to order your gown from Ede and Ravenscroft online at www.gownhire.co.uk or by calling 01223 861854. Please note that on the ceremony details page of the website, when asked for the institution you should enter West Suffolk College and then select ‘University of Suffolk at West Suffolk College’.
We strongly recommend that you order your gown as soon as possible after receiving the email confirming that your details have been uploaded to the Ede and Ravenscroft gown order system, and at least two weeks before your graduation ceremony. You should receive your gown order email within three days of completing your registration.
More information about ordering your gown can be found on the Gowning page.
Ede and Ravenscroft Photography Ltd are the appointed official photographers for the ceremony. Their graduation portrait service will be available on the day in the Apex and can also be booked online at www.gownhire.co.uk.
More information about the Ede and Ravenscroft photography service can be found on the Photography page.
NB Please inform us if you do not wish to be part of the official photographs that may be used for publicity purposes.
Certificates will be handed to graduates on the day once you have left the stage. If you have changed your name without notifying the University of Suffolk, or we appear to hold your name inaccurately, please indicate this when completing the online registration form. It is the responsibility of each student to ensure that the details supplied to the University are correct.
If you do not attend the ceremony your certificate will be posted to you.
Whether you choose to attend your ceremony or not, it is important that you complete your online graduation registration form so that we have a correct record of your name and the address where you can be contacted until the end of November 2018. If you are not attending and we do not have your correct address details, you may not receive your certificate.
Note: The names of all graduates are published in the Ceremony Brochure, including those presented in absentia.
Following the ceremony, a celebratory reception will be held in the Garth area of the Cathedral grounds, where graduates and their guests have the opportunity to enjoy light refreshments and meet with other graduates, course leaders, managers, honorary graduates and other specially invited guests.
You should note that if you have any outstanding financial obligations to the University of Suffolk in relation to your tuition fees you will not be permitted to attend the graduation ceremonies or receive your award certificate and transcript.
If you think you may have an outstanding tuition fee debt, please contact the Finance team as soon as possible on 01473 338350. In order to attend your graduation ceremony, all tuition fee debts must be settled by Thursday 20 September 2018.
You should also ensure that you have returned all borrowed library books and cleared any fines. To check if you have any unreturned books or unpaid fines, please contact the Library on 01284 716267.
Graduation Tickets at £15 per person for students’ guests to attend the ceremony and celebration. There is no admission charge for graduands. The cost of gown hire and photography (www.gownhire.co.uk) should also be considered.
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible to attend a graduation ceremony?
- You will only be able to register for the graduation ceremony once the Assessment Board has confirmed that you have successfully completed your award and if you have settled all outstanding tuition fee debts with the University of Suffolk. If you have outstanding referred or deferred work, there are Assessment Boards on 7 September 2018 and you will be contacted following these.
Where and when is my graduation ceremony?
- St Edmundsbury Cathedral on Saturday 6 October 2018 at 12 noon.
Is there anything I must do in preparation for my graduation?
- You must complete your registration as soon as possible after receiving your invitation email and by noon on Thursday 20 September 2018 at the latest
- You must keep us informed if you change your name and address
- You must hire (or purchase) your academic dress from Ede and Ravenscroft at gownhire.co.uk at least two weeks before the ceremony
- You must pay for your guest tickets online by Monday 25 September 2018 (details will be provided in your confirmation email following completion of the online graduation registration form)
- You must ensure that you have no outstanding tuition fee debts to the University of Suffolk
How many guests can I bring?
- You may bring a maximum of three guests. All guests will require a ticket.
What if I want to bring more than three guests?
- There will be no additional tickets available. We would suggest that you ask your fellow graduands to see if they have any spare tickets they could purchase on your behalf.
Can young children attend the ceremony?
- Young children are welcome to attend the ceremony. However, if they create a disturbance their guardian may be asked to take the child outside the Cathedral.
I am (or a member of my party is) disabled, what should I do?
- Please contact us on 01284 716 278 so that arrangements can be made in advance to provide assistance for you or your guest.
How long will the ceremony last?
- The ceremony will last approximately an hour to an hour and a half.
When do I need to arrive at The Apex prior to the ceremony?
- Graduands are asked to arrive at least an hour and a half before the ceremony to allow them time to gown. This also allows plenty of time for photographs and to get to the Cathedral to be seated by 11.30am.
What should I wear?
- You are asked to dress smartly and students must hire a gown in order to participate in the ceremony. Please bear in mind that the hood of your academic dress will need something to attach to at the front. In most instances a button should be fine, but on some garments pinning may be necessary.
I am not sure if I have any outstanding debts to the University of Suffolk, should I check?
- Any student with outstanding monies will be unable to attend their graduation ceremony and their certificate will be withheld. If you are in doubt, please check with the University of Suffolk Finance Office on 01473 338350.
- You should also check with the West Suffolk College Library on 01284 716267 to make sure that you have returned all your library books and paid any fines.