About the course
If happiness is the goal - and it should be - then adventure should be a top priority - Richard Branson
Studying at West Suffolk College on a Travel and Tourism Course will provide you with opportunities to develop the skills to pursue a career in the Tourism industry and start on an adventure - who could argue with this quote from Richard Branson.
- You will study Travel and Tourism specific units, all taught by industry professionals who possess a wealth of knowledge of their specific area. Every unit is geared towards your vocational area aiming to inspire and enthuse you to pursue a career in the Tourism sector.
- You will learn the theory and practical elements of your chosen tourism pathway. We will also ensure that you are given every opportunity to work on the practical elements to give you a vocationally specific experience. You will also be given the opportunity for working on live projects with employers and numerous hands on experiences, gaining opportunities to develop transferable skills for employment and further study.
Where could it take me?
The travel and tourism team all believe in supporting learners to gain meaningful contacts and work closely with a number of different organisations including Premier Travel, GoApe, Fred Olsen, TUI, Orwell River Cruise, Latitude Social Company and many more. We aspire to inspire and are all excited to support our learners to aim high and shoot for the stars.
Examples of career opportunities but are not limited to Cabin Crew, Cruise Ship Steward, Hotel Management, Visitor Attractions Management, Events Coordinator, Destination Management, travel agent, travel and photography blog writer, tourist guide etc.
We have built excellent links with local and regional businesses. This will help you to gain meaningful work experience and work on projects linked to businesses which will bring your learning to life.
- The Travel and Tourism Study programmes give learners the opportunity to gain a broad knowledge and understanding of the Travel and Tourism sector by industry specialists who are highly experienced in working in the professional industry, with a broad range of experience and an understanding of the vocational area.
- As a student on a vocational course, we will encourage you to gain as many additional qualifications as possible in order to support your applications for Higher Education and employment in the sector. Examples include Cabin Crew and Core Maths.
- You will need to be adventurous, keen to learn and to work with others as team working and to have strong communication skills is an essential skill for being successful in this industry.
Foundation in Business and Service Industries
Foundation in Business and Service Industries is a BTEC study program that allows students to develop and prepare for their future specialist sector. There are different pathways within this study programme and students can choose either Hair and Beauty, Catering and Hospitality, Business, Tourism and Events This is a one year study programme which consist of 9 units examples include, being organised, developing a progression plan, working with others, researching a topic, creating a mood board, Contributing to running an event, presenting a business idea, creating a website and contributing to your community.
Travel and Tourism Extended Certificate Level 2
The Level 2 Travel and Tourism programmes inspire and enthuse learners to consider a career in the travel and Tourism sector. Giving learners the opportunity to gain a broad knowledge and understanding of , and develop skills. The programmes also broaden and deepen learners' understanding of careers in this industry and their attributes. It is a one year study programme involving the study of 10 units, examples include The UK Travel and Tourism Sector, Organising a Travel and Tourism study visit, delivering the travel and tourism customer experience, work related experience in the Travel industry, UK visitor attractions, Holiday Representative, Travel and Tourism Business Environment and travel and Tourism employment opportunities. This qualification provides a good foundation for learners in post-16 education. It provides a suitable foundation for further study within the department supporting progression to a more specialised level 3 Travel and Tourism course.
Lets Get Social:
Instagram - wsclevel2travelandtourism
Travel Blog - Home | The Wicked Travel and Tourism Blog (wixsite.com)
Travel Extended Diploma
The Extended Diploma in Travel and Tourism is a prestigious academic qualification, the equivalent to studying 3 A-Levels, which provides learners with the opportunity to develop knowledge, understanding and skills surrounding this industry.
It is a two-year programme involving the study of 13 units, examples including The World of Travel and Tourism, Events, Conferences and Exhibitions, Working Overseas, Global Destinations, Managing the Customer Experience in Travel and Tourism, Travel and Tourism Enterprises, UK as a Destination, Sustainable Tourism and many more.
In addition you can study an NCFE Cabin Crew Qualification. Learners will be assessed through a variety of methods; these involve both internal and external assessments which will allow learners to develop their vocational and study skills. Learners will be supported with their progression towards higher education and future employment based within the Tourism sector. They will be given the opportunity to gain valuable work-related experience to give them the insight and connections with working within the Tourism and professional industries.
What can I do next?
Upon completion of the level 2 program learners will be encouraged to join the level 3 provision and build on their knowledge. However, as a supportive and dedicated team we also work closely with our leaners and will support our learners to prepare for their next steps which may include finding an apprenticeship or a full-time role within travel and tourism.
Upon completion of Level 3 Travel and Tourism programmes students progress onto different pathways including apprenticeships, employment and Higher education.
The travel and tourism industry is resilient and is on course to bounce back stronger than ever. Just have a look at some of the amazing statistics:
Here is a snippet of what happened when the Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced changes to lockdown restrictions in February 2021.
International bookings have surged by 600%
Easy Jet bookings increased by 300%
TUI Holiday bookings increased by 500%
Jet2 Holiday bookings increased by 600%
This is just a snippet of what the industry has done and we want you to come and join the travel and tourism revolution.
Careers in travel and tourism can vary but once you have studied on this course you will be able to go into careers such as:
- Events Management including festival organiser
- Hospitality including working in restaurants and bars
- The cruise industry
- Travel Agent
- Cabin Crew
- Blog Writer
Travelling, it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller. Ibn Battuta
Days & times
Starting September 2022