Download our prospectus


Download 16-18 prospectus

Quick facts

Qualification type City & Guilds Level 3 Advanced Technical
Duration 1 year
Study times You will be expected to be in college for a minimum of 3 days per week, from 9:15 to 4:00. Your timetable will be confirmed at induction. 
Entry requirements

Entry is by interview on a case-by-case basis.  

Students should hold a Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy and have achieved a Merit/Distinction/Distinction* grade for that qualification. We will also consider therapists currently working in industry who are required to hold a higher-level qualification to perform specialised treatments. Applicants will need to be able to self-manage and will need a mature and responsible outlook, as much of the delivery will require them to work with a high degree of independence. 

Campus he Academy of Hair and Beauty, West Suffolk College Sixth form campus, Bury St Edmunds 
Work placements Yes

Is it for me?


A career in beauty therapy is an exciting one, with close links to the fashion and hairdressing industries. It is varied and diverse, offering lots of opportunities to learn and develop skills in a range of different areas. If this sounds like the career for you, then this course could be the one! 


This course offers an exciting progression route for Level 2 beauty therapists wanting to gain employment within the beauty industry. If you are interested in furthering your existing beauty skills by branching into advanced therapies, tanning and semi-permanent individual eyelash extensions, this course is for you. With the opportunity to learn about and work with the latest equipment and techniques, this course will take you on the next step in this ever-evolving industry. 


Throughout the year there are many exciting opportunities to get involved in and showcase your new skills, from fundraising and charity events and national and in-house competitions.  


Beauty therapy can lead you into a rewarding career centred around helping people relax, gain confidence and enriching lives. Completing your Level 3 qualification will allow you to enter the industry with a broad set of skills and a readiness to provide clients with high quality services.  

What you'll learn

  • Body electrotherapy treatments 

  • Facial electrotherapy treatments 

  • Body massage  

  • Individual semi-permanent lashes 

  • Dry spa treatments 

  • Indian head massage 

  • Anatomy and physiology 

  • Promoting services and products to your clients 

Equipment required for the course

Upon enrolment for this course, learners will receive order forms that list the equipment, tools and uniform requirements of the course.  


The uniform will consist of grey tailored trousers, two tunic tops, plain black cardigan and flat black closed toe shoes. Students must be in full and correct uniform for all practical lessons, with hair in a tight bun, nails must be short and unvarnished. Nail extensions and visible piercings are not allowed during practical sessions.  


Each learner will be required to buy two recommended textbooks that support the knowledge delivered for this course. You may need to consider an additional cost for trips and activities throughout the year. 

Work experience placements

Students will be required to complete work-related experience within the industry to enrich their programme of study and gain employability skills. These hours will be calculated depending on course study hours to meet funding guidelines at the start of your programme. 


A practical synoptic assessment will count for 60% of your grade, this covers practical skills on a live model, and behaviours of the professional beauty therapist. The remaining 40% is made of a theory exam. Most units offer a Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* grading system. 

Further study

  • Nail Professional Technical Certificate Level 2 

  • Nail Professional Advanced Technical Diploma Level 3 

Example careers

  • Beauty Therapist
  • Spa Therapist
  • Brow Specialist
  • Lash Technician
  • Beauty Salon Manager


Days & times

Starting September 2023

Ask us a Question

If there is anything more you would like to know about this course, please message us here.

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Invalid Input
Please enter a message

Ask us a Question

If there is anything more you would like to know about this course, please message us here.

Please enter your name
Please enter a valid email address
Invalid Input
Please enter a message