About the course
The mental health crisis is becoming increasingly prevalent in the UK, with 1 in 4 adults experiencing a mental health problem every year.
The Level 3 Certificate in Understanding Mental Health is designed to provide a greater awareness of mental health issues and the importance of mental well-being.
Learners will build a knowledge base that can be used in a variety of occupational roles, gaining an understanding of the skills needed to work in mental health services, the importance ofaddressing mental health problems, and how legislation and publicity are changing attitudes towards those seeking treatment.
Learners must meet the following eligibility criteria to access this course:
- *Age: Learners must have been at least 19 years of age by 1 August 2021 (if you are aged 19-23 years you must already hold a full level 2 qualification i.e. 5 x GCSE's grade A*-C / 4-9)
- Nationality: Learners must have lived within the EU for at least the last 3 years
- Learners will be required to complete an electronic enrolment form.
- Learners will be required to complete a student declaraton.
- Learners must undertake a maths and English skills checker. (initial online course only)
- Learners will be required to attend an online induction session via zoom.(initial online course only)
- Apprenticeships: Please contact us regarding the funding rules for apprentices
*Due to funding criteria we are unable to funded learners who already hold a Full Level 3 qualification; however, we accept those who wish to self-fund - please enquire for more information.
NCFE Cache Level 3 Certificate
What you'll learn (core modules)
Unit 1: Understanding the Context of Mental Health and Wellbeing
- · Understand the range of current legislation that applies to mental health and how it has changed over time
- · Understand the range of attitudes and perceptions of mental ill-health
- Understand the current pattern and range of services for mental health problems and how these have evolved
Unit 2: Promotion of Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Understand mental health and wellbeing in the different stages of life
- Understand how to support mental health and wellbeing
Unit 3: Mental Health Problems â€“ Associated Issues and Consequences
- · Understand how mental health problems have social consequences for the individual, their family and society as a whole
- · Understand the use/misuse of substances and alcohol in the context of mental health problems (dual diagnosis)
- · Understand mental health problems in the context of offending and the criminal justice system
- · Understand suicide and the prevention of suicide
- · Understand self-harm
Unit 4: Understanding Mental Ill-Health
- · Understand a range of mental health conditions
- · Understand the treatments and interventions available for a range of mental health problems
- · Understand care planning in mental health services
Unit 5: Working in Mental Health
- · Know how to develop the skills, knowledge and attitudes necessary for working in mental health services
- · Understand the roles and responsibilities of a care or support worker working in mental health
- · Understand the roles of other professionals providing mental health services
- · Understand how to use reflection in the development of skills, knowledge and practice
How will I be assessed?
This qualification is assessed via an internally assessed portfolio of evidence which is submitted to your tutor using the online portal.
Where is the course delivered? (facilities/classrooms)
- All learning is completed online (self-study) at a time that suits you without the need to attend college.
- At the start of the course and you will be allocated a designated tutor who will support you through your qualification.
Where will this course take me?
Once you have completed your course with us, you may feel that you would like to progress with your studies or develop skills in another area and take up another course. Please select the link below to view all our other online courses:
Level 3 - Online Courses -Free qualifications - Lifetime Skills Guarantee (wsc.ac.uk)
How much will it cost?
**The course is fully funded and there are no associated costs with completing this course*
However if you start and do not complete this course there will be a charge of £125 to cover registration fees and associated costs.
**Due to funding criteria we are unable to funded learners who already hold a full Level 3 qualification; however, we accept those who wish to self-fund - please enquire for more information.
If you need help with funding
I'm interested. What should I do now?
Please select "apply online" and complete the application, once we have received this, we will contact you with further enrolment information.
Days & times
Please contact us for dates and further information