Overview of course
This is a dynamic course which will enable you to start communicating in a new language from the first lesson!
The course aims include:
- Learning the basic mechanisms of the Japanese language and new vocabularies each lesson
- Understanding simple sentence structures
- Practicing Questions and answers in various scenarios
- Participating in group activities
What will I learn?
Below is a brief outline of the course structure. This is by no means an exhaustive list of what you can expect to learn as learning will take place at a comfortable pace for the group.
- Week 1 - Induction
Familiarisation with Japanese culture and a brief history
Basic pronunciation of the alphabet
Practicing greetings and introductions
- Week 2 - Numbers
Learning how to say numbers
Telling the time
Creating questions i.e. what is the time
- Week 3 - Locations and Directions
Identify name of the objects and buildings
- Week 4 - Sentence Structures
Learning new particles and create complete sentences
- Week 5 - Describing actions in Daily Life
Learning more complex sentence structures
- Week 6 - Applying past, present, future tenses to sentences
Group scenarios to support understanding
- Week 7 - Describing objects
Describing objects and identifying which adjectives are suited to certain nouns
- Week 8 - Combining 2 or more adjectives
Describing nouns with 2 or more adjectives or create individual sentences
- Week 9 - Scenario Role Playing
Playing out various conversations such as at a train station or restaurant, shop etc.
- Week 10 - What an achievement! You can understand and speak Japanese now celebration!!
Interact with one another and converse in only in Japanese
Sneak preview for the next level up Japanese course (heavily involved in writing 3 types of Japanese)
Who is the course for?
This is a course for people who have no understanding of the Japanese language and would like to begin to learn the basics. Japanese for beginners is a 3 part course and we hope that in completing part 1 that you would look to enrol onto part 2 (10 weeks) and part 3 (10 weeks).
Will I have to provide anything?
All of the handouts or course supporting documents will be provided for you. You may wish to bring your own notepad and pen.
Days & times
Wednesday 19:00 - 20:30