Overview of course
This introductory stage programme, Co-Sponsored by Greene King is specifically designed to give young people an opportunity to experience working in a professional kitchen and to see if a career as a chef is for them or just to have fun.
You will learn great new skills and techniques all of which you can use either in your future career or simply at home for your family. You will be cooking, from scratch, with fresh ingredients cooking recipes in the following sessions:
- 25/09/21 - Week 1 - Induction, Food Safety, Homemade Soup and Bread Rolls
- 02/10/21 - Week 2 - Homemade Burgers and Rolls
- 09/10/21 - Week 3 - Seasonal Fruit Pie and Custard
- 16/10/21 - Week 4 - Chicken Tikka and Salad
- 30/10/21 - Week 5 - Teriyaki Salmon on Egg Noodles, Stir Fried Vegetables
- 06/11/21 - Week 6 - Chocolate Brownies and Vanilla Ice-Cream
- 13/11/21 - Week 7 - Chocolates and fudge
- 20/11/21 - Week 8 - Students to cook and serve a two course lunch for parents and family or invited guests - maximum of 4 covers in total
This is a very popular course and has received great feedback. Some of these can be seen below:
"I did not have a favourite part as I enjoyed it from start to finish"
"Would love to come again and want to do catering at West Suffolk College"
"Mum and Dad really enjoyed the delights that were brought home each week"
You must be aged 10-15 and keen to learn new skills
You will receive a West Suffolk College certificate signed by the Head Chef
Further course detail
This course will be held at West Suffolk College within the training kitchens following strict COVID-19 Risk Assessment and guidelines. There will be a procedure in place for movement around the kitchen and delegates will be split into two groups (bubbles) to minimise close contact.
There will be restrictions over numbers for the lunch at the end of the course due to social distancing in the restaurant. These will be confirmed nearer the time to keep in line with Government measures.
Will I have to provide anything?
£190 includes ingredients, apron and knives and 4 covers at end of course two course lunch.
West Suffolk College are able to accept Childcare Vouchers in payment for this course due to the age of the students. Please contact us for further details.
I'm interested. What should I do now?
Days & times
Saturday 09:15 - 12:15