About the course
Many people find it helpful to seek counselling at some point in their lives, and a counsellor can provide support for people in all sorts of situations. If you're interested in supporting people to improve their personal well-being, this course will provide you with the correct understanding, knowledge and skills to do that. You'll learn about core counselling skills and how to use them in a counselling relationship. You will also be taught about counselling theory and the ethical framework that informs how counsellors use their skills.
Learners must meet the following eligibility criteria to access this course:
- Be aged 19+ on the 31/08/2022
- Live in the UK for 3 years/live in UK from EEA or have *pre-settlement or *Settled status from the Home Office (*proof required)
- Due to Government funding criteria, we are unable to accept learners who live in Scotland, Wales, N Ireland, Ireland or a devolved postcode areas. Please check with us if you are unsure.
NCFE/CACHE Level 2 qualification
What you'll learn (core modules)
This course consists of 4 units:
Unit 1: Using counselling skillsThe learning outcomes from this unit are that you will:
- Know what core counselling skills are
- Know how to establish a helping relationship
- Be able to use core counselling skills in a helping relationship
- Know how to conclude a helping interaction
Unit 2: Introduction to counselling skills theoriesThe learning outcomes from this unit are that you will:
- Know elements of counselling theories
- Know the significance of counselling theory
Unit 3: Diversity and ethics in the use of counselling skillsThe learning outcomes from this unit are that you will:
- Know how an ethical framework relates to the use of counselling skills
- Know what discrimination means
- Understand about anti-discriminatory practice
Unit 4: Counselling skills and personal developmentThe learning outcomes from this unit are that you will:
- Know how to develop self-understanding
- Know personal qualities relevant to the helping roles
- Know how to meet own support needs
- Know how self-reflection contributes to personal development
How will I be assessed?
This qualification is assessed via an internally assessed portfolio of evidence which is submitted to your tutor using the online portal.
Where is the course delivered? (facilities/classrooms)
- All learning is completed online at a time that suits you without the need to attend college.
- At the start of the course and you will be allocated a designated tutor who will support you through your qualification.
Where will this course take me?
Once you have completed your course with us, you may feel that you would like to progress with your studies or develop skills in another area and take up another course. Please select the link below to view all our other online courses:
Level 2 - Online Courses
How much will it cost?
The course is fully funded and there are no associated costs with completing this course*
However if you start and not complete this course there will be a charge of £125
*The course is fully funded subject to the individual being over 19 and having lived in an EEA country for the last 3 years
I'm interested. What should I do now?
Please select "apply online" and complete the application, once we have received this, we will contact you with further enrolment information.
Days & times
Please contact us for dates and further information