The aim of the course is to develop an understanding of the whole process and the ability to project-manage a job from start to finish, or find a specific skill within the industry to pursue. This will be achieved by helping you maximise your design creativity and practical skills in specific finishing fields such as decorative applications, lighting, textiles and carpentry together with an understanding of client and sector needs. You will have plenty of opportunity to explore the creative processes that underpin their practical and technical skills. Graduates will leave with a strong sense of what is possible in the field of interior design, understanding the importance of a professional approach to working with clients and related professional practitioners in architecture, construction, building services and computer aided design, opening the door to many career possibilities within this exciting field of interior design.
Assessments include a combination of portfolio, written and practical studio work. You will work on live briefs developing relationships with customers and delivering your designs via presentations with the client and your peers.
Each year we offer a great trip to a cultural destination. Last year we took the BA (Hons) Graphic and Communication Design and BA (Hons) Interior Design students to the Eternal City of Rome. Enriching their courses by putting theory into practice, the trip encouraged students to look beyond the studio to appreciate the plethora of fascinating iconic art and archaeology that the city had to offer. This year we are heading off to the inspirational Barcelona!
- Vocational course with live projects
- Unique programme with a holistic approach
- Lecturing staff are highly qualified with a wealth of Industry experience
- Diverse mix of practical, technical and theoretical skills
- Links to industry, visiting lecturers and commercial collaborations
- Small groups with tutor contact every session
- Students exhibit their work to the public
- Based in a lively, mixed media art school
- Study in a beautiful, historic and affluent town with good cultural links
Each year, the level 4 students work on a local retail outlet whilst the level 5 students get an opportunity to work with a show home, and present their ideas to the developer.
Foreign Residential Trip to Barcelona - February 2018
Barcelona proved to be a perfect destination for our annual Art & Design study trip, allowing our students from the University of Suffolk and West Suffolk College the opportunity to appreciate first hand this city's stunning landmark buildings, such as Sagrada Familia, the MACBA, the FundaciÃ³ MirÃ³ and La Pedrera. The breathtaking works of master architect Antoni GaudÃ and his modernist contemporaries truly define Barcelona as a centre for creative expression. The student visited a number of key galleries and museums gaining an insight into the ground-breaking work of Joan Miro, Pablo Picasso and Dali. Many other works of art could be found by just strolling around the city's streets and colourful markets. This trip was brilliant for not only the cultural exposure enriching the students wider learning experience but also for forming long lasting memories and new friendships.
An all-round fantastic time was had by all. Sian Horn. Course Leader BA(Hons) Graphic and Communication Design.
Great fun, once in a lifetime experience, would love to go back again.
An epic team bonding experience, and exciting city.
A really good trip well organised, cram- packed with lots to see and do.
Facilities and Resources
- The facilities at our site comprise technical drawing studios with continually updated apple mac suites supported by IT technicians; studios for drawing; 3D workshops; comprehensive decorating/design workshop at the Milburn Centre staffed by professionals with experience in working with high end London Interior Designers.
- A well-equipped and extensive library is on site, with plenty of IT resources and librarians to assist you in your research. As a University student, you will also have access to the library at the Ipswich site..
- Students will have the opportunity to go on an overseas visit in the second year. Design students have previously been to places such as New York, Venice, Barcelona and Berlin. The destination is different each year, and we try to plan it to coincide with an international event.
- We continuously visit inspiring exhibitions, such as "100% Design" to keep abreast of current trends.
- Visiting lecturers are brought in on a regular basis to impart their knowledge and experience.
* Subject to validation
Days & times
Starting September 2019