About the course
This short course is a follow-on from the Beginners Computer - joining the internet revolution course, although if you have some basic computer skills you can join this course without attending the previous one.
Having mastered the basics of using a Windows computer, for example:
- understanding the desktop
- how to find and launch apps
- how to browse the internet
This course looks at using your computer to create things â€“ files - how to save your projects safely and most importantly show you how to find them again!
It is aimed at those who have a basic understanding of windows but now want to do more than accessing the Internet to get more out of their computer. In plain non-technical language, it will take you through how we create stuff (files) using our computer and then how and where to save them. We will look at creating files with WordPad and Paint and saving them to our computer. You will then practice creating letters, newsletters and other documents, mixing text and images.
We will also look at copying your CDs to a computer and how to transfer your photos from a camera or phone.
We will look at how Windows stores your files using folders and how to create your own folders to get organised and to find those important files again.
The course will have a mix of taught and practice sessions to help embed your new skills.
There are no formal entry requirements, but you will need to attend an induction and assessment session to check this is the right course for you.
There is no qualification associated with this course.
What you'll learn (core modules)
This specially designed course will help students with only a basic computer knowledge.
The course covers the following topics:
- What we mean by files.
- Understanding how Windows uses folders to organise your files.
- How to save files from Windows apps, for example, WordPad, Paint.
- Working with File Explorer.
- Creating your own folders.
- Moving around your folders to find files.
- How to copy music files to your computer.
- Where to find your downloaded files
- Using portable storage, e.g. USB sticks.
- How to transfer photos and other files from your phone or camera.
- How to move and copy files.
Where will this course take me?
There is the opportunity to enrol for a functional skills or digital skills course leading to a qualification from Entry Level 3 up to Level 2.
I'm interested. What should I do now?
Days & times
Please contact us for dates and further information