About the course
This short course is a follow-on from the Beginners Computer - joining the internet revolution course, although if you have some basic computer skills you can join this course without attending the previous one.
Having mastered the basics of using a Windows computer, for example:
- understanding the desktop
- how to find and launch apps
- how to browse the internet
This course looks at using your computer to do tasks that will help you get a job, for example creating a CV and cover letter, uploading your documents to job sites and completing on-line job applications, video interviews and other job and benefit related forms. It will also show you how and where to save your files and most importantly how to find them again!
It is aimed at those who have a basic understanding of computers but need to know how to create documents and upload files which are becoming a more essential part of applying for jobs these days.
We will look at how Windows stores your files and how to save them to a memory stick so you can take them with you.
The course will have a mix of taught and practice sessions to help embed your new skills.
There are no formal entry requirements, but you will need to attend an induction and assessment session to make sure you have basic computer skills to check this is the right course for you.
There is no qualification associated with this course.
What you'll learn (core modules)
This specially designed course will help students with only a basic computer knowledge.
The course covers the following topics:
- What we mean by files.
- Understanding how Windows uses folders to organise your files.
- How to create text documents using Word.
- How to find and use CV templates to create your own CV.
- How to create job application letters.
- Working with File Explorer to save your files to different places.
- How to save your files to a USB (memory) stick so you can take take them with you.
- Creating your own folders.
- Moving around your folders to find files.
- How to upload your CV and other documents to job search sites and to apply for jobs.
- Logging into your Universal Credit portal & completing journal entry.
- How to access Teams/Zoom/Google video chat to be able to interview digitally.
- Do's & Do not's of Video interviews.
Where will this course take me?
There is the opportunity to enrol for a functional skills or digital skills course leading to a qualification from Entry Level 3 up to Level 2.
I'm interested. What should I do now?
Days & times
Please contact us for dates and further information