About the course
The Cambridge CELTA course is the Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. It is an internationally recognised introductory training and certification programme at level 5, and is designed to give you the essential skills, knowledge and hands-on teaching practice you need to teach English to adults. If you want to teach English in this country or abroad, this is the course for you
The course is designed for people who:
- have little or no teaching experience and would like to enter the fields of EFL or ESOL
- are English teachers wishing to obtain an internationally recognised qualification
- are teachers with experience from any discipline who wish to extend and develop their existing skills, gaining a subject specific teaching qualification.
The CELTA is a highly respected qualification from Cambridge English, part of Cambridge University.
To participate in the course you must be at least 18 years of age, be educated to a level suitable for University/Higher Education entrance (A levels or equivalent) and have an awareness of language and a written and spoken competence in English that will enable you to follow and complete the course. You will also need to attend an interview and pass a language awareness test.
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages Certificate Level 5
What you'll learn (core modules)
The course comprises input sessions which include areas such as:
- the roles of the teacher and the learner
- understanding the contexts in which adults learn English
- classroom management skills
- lesson planning
- language analysis (grammar, vocabulary and phonology)
- reading, writing, listening and speaking skills
- teaching methodologies
- teaching basic literacy
How will I be assessed?
There is no final examination as you are assessed continuously over the course. The assessment includes:
- six hours of teaching practice to groups of EFL/ESOL students at two different levels
- lesson planning, language analysis and the ability to reflect on teaching practice
- four written assignments related to the course input
Where is the course delivered? (facilities/classrooms)
The course will be delivered at our learning centre in Ipswich.
Where will this course take me?
The course qualifies you to teach English as a foreign language in establishments in this country and abroad. Having the CELTA shows employers you:
have gained essential knowledge of the principles of effective English teaching
have developed a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners
have demonstrated your ability to apply your learning in a real teaching context
are ready to begin working in a variety of ESL teaching contexts around the world
How much will it cost?
The course costs £1450.
If you need help with funding
CELTA is now eligible for funding under the Advanced Learner Loans scheme. If you would like more information about this, please contact the college and we will direct you to someone who will be able to answer any questions you have.
I'm interested. What should I do now?
Alternatively, if you would like to apply for this course then you can do this online by clicking 'apply'. You will then receive a more in-depth application form that we ask you to complete before we invite you in for an interview.
The interview is approximately two hours and you will:
- be given information on the course
- take part in a discussion around your answers to a language awareness task that you will be sent before your interview
- complete a written task (a choice of which is included in the language awareness task)
- have a face-to-face meeting to discuss your reasons for doing the CELTA
Days & times
Monday 09:00 - 17:00