About the course
The Extended Diploma in Business is a prestigious academic qualification, the equivalent to studying 3 A-Levels, which provides learners with the opportunity to develop knowledge, understanding and skills surrounding Business with specialist pathways of study in Business and Finance.
It is a two-year programme involving the study of 13 units, examples include: Exploring Business, Personal and Business Finance, Principals of Management, International Business, Investigating Customer service, Cost and Management Accounting, Recording Financial Transactions, Learners will be assessed through a variety of methods; these involve both internal and external assessments which will allow learners to develop their vocational and study skills. In addition, you will study Year 1 Certificate in Financial Studies and Year 2 Diploma in Financial studies awarded by the London Institute of Banking and Finance.
Learners will be supported with their progression towards higher education and future employment based within the Business and Finance sector. They will be given the opportunity to gain valuable work-related experience to give them the insight and connections with working within the Business and Finance professional industries.
In year 1, learners are exposed to a range of business principles which include Exploring Business, Personal and Business Finance, Employment Law and Accounting. When progressing to year 2, learners have the opportunity to build on the foundations established in year 1, and take a more specialist pathway in accounting and finance and insurance with subjects including Investment opportunities and financial planning.
To fully appreciate the world of Finance, accountancy and business, you need to get out there. During the course, you will be exposed to successful business finance speakers, business organisations and industry specialists. Visits will be linked to your course criteria, allowing you to gaining valuable insight into the running of real businesses both locally and nationally. Throughout the course you will be supported by staff who have real life experience and a true passion for industry. Delivery strategies will include real life project-based scenarios involving industry 'clients', national competitions and challenges.
The Level 3 Business courses are sponsored by Trident Marketing, The Lively Crew and Scrutton Bland.
Entry is by interview. Candidates will need either a minimum of four GCSE's at Grade 4 (C) or above, including maths or English at Grade 4 (C), or a Level 2 qualification merit grade or above. Applicants will need to be able to be motivated and manage their own time. Learners will need to have a mature and responsible outlook, as they will be required to work with a high degree of independence throughout much of the course.
The college offers a wide range of Level 3 Diplomas. We will work with all learners in their first six weeks at College to place them on the appropriate Diploma programme that best meets their individual needs and best ensures their success. Within this course, learners will have the opportunity to take either BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business, BTEC Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Business, or BTEC Extended Certificate in Business plus LIBF Certificate in Financial Studies.
What you'll learn (core modules)
In addition to the core programme of Business, Finance, Accountancy and Insurance, learners are required to undertake mandatory work experience where they have the opportunity to enhance existing skills, as well as further developing transferable skills in a business context. In addition, learners have the opportunity to take part in an industry work placement one day a week. These are year long placements which work around the course timetable, giving learners the opportunity to gain a more in-depth experience which can be linked to existing part-time employment. This is an ideal opportunity for students to gain an insight into a new business sector or build on the business skills required for operation in a trade for learners that are interested in starting their own business or pursuing a specific trade. Delivery strategies will include real life project-based scenarios involving industry 'clients', national competitions and challenges.
Benefits, skills and character strengths
- Curiosity to find out more and learn
- Optimum to look on the positive side of events and situations and expect the best of others
- Ambition to have high expectations and aspirations with a 'can do' attitude
- Ownership to take responsibility and control of your own behaviour and look after the working environment
- Self-control to be able to control your own behaviour when pushed or under pressure
- Respect to show positive feelings of admiration for others that you believe have good ideas or qualities
- Confidence to be certain of your abilities
How will I be assessed?
A range of assessment strategies are used to up skill learners and prepare them for their next steps upon competition of the course. Examples include:
- Written reports
- Vlogs, blogs, log books, production diaries
- Role play
- Articles for journals, press releases, web pages
- Production of visual or audio materials
- Exams/ controlled assessment
Where is the course delivered? (facilities/classrooms)
We understand it is important to evolve with the ever changing demands of the world to meet the needs of society and businesses therefore we embrace the use of both physical and virtual classrooms across our business programmes.
- West Suffolk College main campus, Out Risbygate, Bury St. Edmunds
- Virtual learning platforms
Where will the course take me?
Whatever your long term goals may be, knowledge of the core principles of business and finance will provide a solid foundation for your next steps which could include:
- Further courses that benefit from a business foundation e.g. accountancy
- Higher Education courses
- New business start up
- Learners will be able to progress after year 1 to pathways in Finance Accounting and Insurance
Will I need any materials or equipment?
- Computerised device e.g. laptop
- Storage of electronic work e.g. Virtual storage, USB stick
- BTEC national business: student book 1 (2016 specification). Phillips, J. et al. (2016) BTEC Nationals business : for the 2016 specifications. London: Pearson Education
- Standard learner stationery e.g. A4 note book with organiser, ring binder folder, plastic wallets and stationary
- Business dress for competitions/ speakers
How much will it cost?
Enrichment fee = £50 (trip contribution) payable of the first month of the course
Additional fee for a residential trip linked to business activities, which is proposed to be Disney Live = £410
I'm interested. What should I do now?
Apply on line by completing the online application form using the 'Apply Online' button at the bottom of this page. To complete the application process you will need to register, or login if you are already have a user account
Once you have made you application, you will be contacted to arrange an interview. If you have any further questions, see our FAQ section below, or contact our admissions team
- Complete the summer task
- Sign up to our business Instagram feed to keep up to date with course information @business_extended_diploma
- Subscribe to our YouTube page for further insights in the courses we offer
Days & times
Starting September 2023