Overview of course
Managers from time to time need to handle situations where they have to deliver challenging feedback and handle emotional responses. This course gives delegates the skills to prepare for and hold their difficult conversation, whether it's about performance issues, personal issues, poor conduct and behaviour or absenteeism.
Main objective: to enable delegates to practice delivering constructive feedback and handle strong emotions.
The course will run at West Suffolk College or can be delivered on site as bespoke training.
Further course detail
- What is a difficult conversation? What are the situations when a difficult conversation can happen?
- Preparing to hold a difficult conversation â€“ looking at the situation, facts, knowledge and outcomes
- Responses and Behaviours â€“ analysing our own responses and those of the receiver of the message â€“ using Transactional Analysis to work out our approach
- How to handle strong emotional responses from the receiver of the message, as well as staying in control of our own emotions
- Using a framework for giving a particular message
- Using descriptive statements and options when giving feedback, and working on the positive to influence cooperation
- Communication skills â€“ using questioning and active listening skills, recognising non-verbal communication
- Using scenarios to work through delivering difficult messages, likely responses and how to handle these.
The course will include a mixture of direct teaching, interactive sessions and group discussions to help delegates to fully demonstrate their learning. Practical activities are also used to relate the subject matter to own situations so delegates take away tools and actions they can immediately implement.
Delegates will be supplied with a folder of the workshop materials, and develop their own action plan to implement and review.
Days & times
Please contact us for dates and further information