The overall aim of the BA (Hons) Professional Studies programme is to equip you with the knowledge, skills and experience that will enable them to be 'professionally ready' on graduation. The programme provides broad coverage of the key functions of management and enables you to appreciate the importance of the social, political, ethical, technological, environmental and global contexts in which organisations operate. The programme also provides opportunities for you to develop creativity, communication, problem solving, time management and decision-making abilities through a range of skills and knowledge relevant to modern business and professional contexts. This is partly facilitated through the opportunities provided to investigate current issues within the business and professional environments.
BA (Hons) Professional Studies aims to:
· Provide articulated progression from study at appropriate Honours level and to facilitate progression to further HE study at post-graduate level;
· Place emphasis on autonomy and independent, self-directed learning appropriate to honours level and beyond
· Provide opportunities for the application of knowledge, skills and understanding within appropriate Honours level assessment activities (e.g. dissertations, projects, critiques etc);
· Develop the students' presentational and communication skills, whether oral, written or through electronic media to professional standards
· Encourage self-reflection and self-criticism, contextualised to own learning, performance and coursework;
· Provide a factual or knowledge base with the emphasis on more complex/unpredictable aspects of the chosen subject;
· Equip students to discuss aspects of their subject/profession with confidence and to enable them to appreciate where multiple solutions or ambiguity exist;
· Provide appropriate blended learning via formal lectures, groupwork, one-to-one tutorial support, peer support and sustained self-directed learning
The BA (Hons) Professional Studies will enable you to further develop these skills and contextualise them in your professional activities.
- Investigate and critically analyse the competitive environment facing the business organisation and professional activities
- Critically analyse organisational culture and its impact on organisational dynamics
- Analyse a range of leadership and management styles and practices and how they are effectively employed
- Demonstrate a high level of understanding and appreciation of a range of contemporary issues involving business, management, society, professionalism and ethics
- Critically evaluate a range of strategies for developing and sustaining motivation in themselves and in others
- Demonstrate highly developed professional skills to present, evaluate and interpret information, to develop lines of argument and make sound critical judgements in accordance with the theoretical frameworks and concepts associated with their professional sector
- Devise and justify a plan for future improvements to their own practice
Upon graduation students can progress to employment in a professional area. This degree also helps those individuals already working in a professional role to gain promotion and become more confident with the decisions they make in the workplace. Many also enter programmes of further study for advanced professional qualifications or postgraduate courses such as the Master of Business Administration.
It is our aim to equip you with a level of knowledge and managerial skills that will enable you find suitable and rewarding employment upon graduation and facilitate further personal and career development in the future.
Fees and finance
£8,500 for the year
UCAS tariff: 112 Points
A Levels: BBC
Pearson BTEC level 3: DMM
Other: Students entering this course are expected to have a recognised Level 5 qualification in an area of relevant professional expertise.
Days & times
Date(s) to be confirmed