About the course
About The School of Art, Design & Digital-Creative / Leonardo Creative House
We hope you apply and join one of our courses. You will belong to the biggest curriculum area at West Suffolk College - The School of Art, Design and Digital-Creative. We are thriving, fun and ambitious. Studying ONE subject that you truly connect with (with no exams) is a liberating joy. You will love it!
This year we have over 500 students studying a broad range of creative courses across different levels. We are fortunate to have our own purpose-built building - 'Leonardo House' - on the main campus. Over many years we have all worked hard to be considered one of the very best Further Education creative centres in the UK. We care about what we do and strive to develop the next generation of professionals for the UK and global Creative Industries. Our culture is one of very high standards and freedom of individual expression. You will be working with like-minded individuals and professional specialist staff. Being part of Leonardo Creative House is a great thing. With hard work you will thrive and progress to a rewarding future.
Derek Johnson - Director of The School of Art & Design / Leonardo Creative House
The course - what is it all about?
Focusing on the one subject you love and developing your skills alongside other like-minded artists is a truly brilliant thing. The happy days of art college will last a lifetime and launch you into a career.
Our UAL Foundation Diploma in Art & Design is outstanding. This one-year course is for students wishing to have a multi-layered, fast paced, challenging and rewarding creative education experience. You will learn new drawing, mixed-media, 3D, digital, fashion and photographic skills. The course is a wonderful mix of structured workshops and the vital importance of independent art practice.
Entry onto this course requires a level 3 diploma or A-levels. You will learn and develop a broad range of creative, technical and professional skills. These include illustration, fine art, design skills, 3D/sculpture, innovative digital work, animation, printmaking, painting and photography. These are delivered across different assignments in specialist studios with specialist staff. As courses progress students will focus more and more on their own creative interests and individual skills. This mix of very structured teaching and the culture of open expression are the core of our thriving Art & Design courses.
The courses and what you need to get a place:
- UAL Level 3-4 Foundation Diploma in Art & Design (Post A-level and pre-degree level)
For the UAL Level 3-4 Foundation Diploma Art & Design you will need a level 3 qualification/s. This is typically A-levels or an Extended Diploma.
What the courses cover
Creative and Technical skills:
- 2D illustration and design skills
- Drawing and painting
- 3D making skills - media and processes
- Digital - various software - including Adobe CC (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Idea generation
- Exploration and experimentation of media and processes
- Independent development of studio work into own unique outcomes
- Contextual studies - historical and modern international art and design - and connections to the wider world.
- Working on 'live' assignments
- Meeting deadlines
- Working with focus and independence
- Presentation of outcomes
- Online professional social media profile
How will I be assessed?
All courses and levels are assessed against submitted coursework by a deadline - work with NO sat exams. All are assessed at Pass, Merit, Distinction levels against the qualification unit criteria.
We are proud to be a University of the Arts London (UAL) accredited college. This is the largest creative awarding body in Europe.
NOTE: All level 3 courses carry the required UCAS points for university applications.
Where will it take me?
Foundation students progress to university or employment. Annually about 90% of our students decide to progress to university. They all successfully gain places. Our students progress to the very finest universities such as Chelsea, Central Saint Martins, Manchester, Nottingham Trent, London College of Fashion, Norwich, Southampton and many others.
Outstanding aspects and highlights
We love doing as many enriching things as possible. This ensures your educational experience is varied, challenging and positive. Recently art & design students have:
- Various local, national and international trips and residentials
- Visits to the studio and foundry of Laurance Edwards - internationally renowned sculptor
- Various exhibitions - online and in a gallery format
- Been selected and exhibited for the prestigious UAL 'Origins' exhibition in London
- Presented nationally on the UAL 'Student Takeover' Instagram
- 'Live' assignments and paid freelance work opportunities
Days & times
Starting September 2023