About The School of Art, Design & Digital-Creative / Leonardo Creative House
We hope you apply and join one of our courses. You will belong to the biggest curriculum area at West Suffolk College - The School of Art, Design and Digital-Creative. We are thriving, fun and ambitious. Studying ONE subject that you truly connect with (with no exams) is a liberating joy. You will love it!
This year we have over 500 students studying a broad range of creative courses across different levels. We are fortunate to have our own purpose-built building - 'Leonardo House' - on the main campus. Over many years we have all worked hard to be considered one of the very best Further Education creative centres in the UK. We care about what we do and strive to develop the next generation of professionals for the UK and global Creative Industries. Our culture is one of very high standards and freedom of individual expression. You will be working with like-minded individuals and professional specialist staff. Being part of Leonardo Creative House is a great thing. With hard work you will thrive and progress to a rewarding future.
Derek Johnson - Director of The School of Art & Design / Leonardo Creative House
The course - what is it all about?
Follow us on Instagram @lch_architecture
Our Architecture (Conceptual) course is unique and brilliant. This is for ambitious young visionaries who wish to design structures, environments, interiors and crazy worlds. Nothing dull hereâ€¦ it is about possibilities and imagination. This can be for real-world developments or entertainment in films, games and multi-media. There are no limits! Often the two meet in the urban skylines of the twentieth century.
You will learn a broad range of hands-on and digital skills - often combining the two to create truly wonderous possibilities. As the course and your skills develop you will become more specialised and independent.
This area of work is thriving. The UK is a world leader in design, film/TV production, architecture, innovation and multi-media/games. This course is the first step into this rewarding and lucrative span of careers.
The courses and what you need to get a place:
- UAL Level 1 Diploma in Art, Design and Media (1 year)
- UAL Level 2 Diploma in Art & Design (1 year) or UAL Level 2 Diploma in Art & Design (Digital Art) (1 year)
- UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Creative Practice: Art, Design & Communication (internal pathway: Architecture (Conceptual)) (2 years)
What the course covers
Creative and Technical skills:
- 2D architectural illustration and design skills
- 3D/model making skills - media and processes
- Digital creativity - various software - including Adobe CC (Photoshop, Illustrator) and 3D software
- Idea generation
- Exploration and experimentation of media and processes
- Independent development of studio work into own unique outcomes
- Sustainable architecture
- Contextual studies - historical, modern and wider world knowledge and inspiration
- Working on 'live' assignments
- Meeting deadlines
- Working with focus and independence
- Presentation of outcomes
- Online professional social media profile
How will I be assessed?
All courses and levels are assessed against submitted coursework by a deadline - work with NO sat exams. All are assessed at Pass, Merit, Distinction levels against the qualification unit criteria.
We are proud to be a University of the Arts London (UAL) accredited college. This is the largest creative awarding body in Europe.
NOTE: All level 3 courses carry the required UCAS points for university applications.
Where will it take me?
Level 1 and 2 students progress to levels 2 and 3.
Level 3 students progress to university or employment. Annually about 75% of our level 3 students decide to progress to university. They all successfully gain places. Our students progress to the very finest universities such as Chelsea, Central Saint Martins, Manchester, Nottingham Trent, London College of Fashion, Norwich, Southampton and many others.
Outstanding aspects and highlights
We love doing as many enriching things as possible. This ensures your educational experience is varied, challenging and positive. Recently Architecture students have:
- Visited the Contemporary Architectural model making exhibition in London
- Visiting speaker and workshop with sustainability Architect at West Stow
- 'Live' conceptual architecture assignment/open competition
- Conceptual Architecture plaster casting construction workshop
- Visit to London to study new constructions and the roof garden at the 'Walkie-Talkie Building'
Days & times
Starting September 2022