Administration Assistant – Haverhill Adult Learning Centre, West Suffolk College –Haverhill
Permanent, Part time 30 hours per week
£14,200.05 pro rata salary (£17,513.40 FTE)
The Adult Learning Centre in Haverhill are looking for dynamic and passionate Administration Assistant to join their small but busy team.
The successful candidate will be dealing with both face to face, telephone and email enquiries from both students and staff. They will also need to have good typing skills using a variety of software packages, such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, as well as being able to use and maintain office database systems.
We are looking for applicants who can work flexibly as part of a team with good organisational skills, who are able to prioritise, to work under pressure and at times use their own initiative. The ability to deal with telephone calls and people in a confidential and professional manner is essential.
- Act as the focal point for communication with members of the public, offering advice and information on course content, fees, dates etc. on all available courses in the Learning Centre, other Learning Centres and at the College’s main site in Bury St Edmunds.
- Where necessary make appointments with Careers Advisors and signpost where appropriate to other Advice and Guidance providers.
- With the Learning Centre manager record and maintain the statistical reports of centre activity. Monitor attendance of students on leisure learning and vocational courses held at the centre, liaise with tutors, contact students not attending in a timely manner to help retention and act as a bridge between student and tutor.
- Act as the focal point for communication, where appropriate, between the various academic and administrative functions of the College and Learning Centres. Give informal/pastoral support to students (within the limits of our remit liaising with main campus staff as appropriate).
- Undertake any necessary administration for all exam bodies. Booking online and paper exams, including registering students and downloading the appropriate exam data files, organising invigilation and secure storage of exam papers.
- Welcome visitors, offering hospitality where appropriate. Be the ‘face’ of WSC and deliver customer service to a high standard, dealing with feedback, complaints and compliments accordingly and in line with college policy.
Required qualifications, skills and experience
- Good general education including at least GCSE C grade in English and Maths and ICT
- NVQ Level 2 or 3 in Administration or equivalent or other appropriate qualifications (desirable.)
- Experience of working in an administrative or office role.
- Experience of prioritising workloads.
- Experience of dealing with a wide range of people in a professional manner.
- Excellent telephone manner.
- Good organisational skills.
- Competency in the use of Microsoft Office applications with particular emphasis on high level word processing skills and at least a working knowledge of spreadsheets and databases.
- Good customer care skills.
- Post holder must have access to a car and hold a current driving licence. Travel expenses are reimbursed
Please ensure you familiarise yourself with our Character Strengths and Mission Statement to incorporate into your personal statement. You will find this very beneficial if you are invited to attend for an interview and it will help you to understand our expectations of you at an early stage of the recruitment process.
Click here for West Suffolk College Character Strengths
Click here for West Suffolk College Mission & Vision
Please forward an up to date CV, if you have not heard from the college within 14 days of applying, please assume your application has not been successful.
This College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
In line with national legislation, and organisational policy, all data will be processed in a fair and lawful way, for the specific purpose and not disclosed in any way incompatible with such purpose or to any unauthorised persons or organisations.
In accordance with the Equality Act 2010 the college operates a policy of equality and diversity which protects employees, students and people who access the College’s goods, services and facilities, from discrimination on the basis of ‘protected characteristics’ which include: age ,disability, gender, reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race (colour, nationality and ethnic or national origins.), religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
The successful applicant will be required to complete and obtain a standard or enhanced disclosure check (role dependant) from the Disclosure and Barring Service. The cost of processing this will be £44 and you will be required to make payment online via the safeguarding website before your employment commences. Further information about the Disclosure and Barring Scheme can be found at www.homeoffice.gov.uk or by speaking to a member of the Human Resources department.
Closing date: 20th June 2019
Interview date: 3rd July 2019